BFG RtT 700 temperature

Fairway 7

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I purchased an RT 700 a few months ago. Initially it held the set temperature perfectly. A few days ago while smoking a brisket, I noticed that the temperature would fluctuate a few degrees. I vacuumed the burn pot to remove any excess ash. Today I smiled some jerky at 180 degrees for 5-6 hours. At about 5 1/2 hours, RT 700 began to smoke uncontrollably. I removed the grates, grease pan and burn pot over immediately. The burn pot was overloaded with pellets and burning ferociously. I shut off the power and the fire gradually quelled. if I had not been present, this would have been a dangerous situation. Has anyone experienced this? I am now afraid to leave the grill unattended. I don’t want to babysit the smoker, but I am now concerned with the safety of leaving it unattended. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dangerous to your jerky for sure. Doubtful how it was dangerous otherwise.
Nothing special happened at 5 1/2 hours? Odd that it would take that long for it to lose control of itself.
Got temp readings from the app?

The app showed the temperature at approximately 180, although it continued to fluctuate 5 degrees during the 5 1/2 hours. Can’t understand why the burn pot suddenly overloaded. When I removed the burn pot cover, the flames were at least 12” high.

Call Recteq? They do not monitor posts here (or at least this is not a Recteq supported forum) .. Advice otherwise will be trial & error.

Document it with Recteq. There is nothing anyone here can send you to resolve your issue formally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back